- 60mL KetoCal 4:1 Powder Vanilla, reconstituted*
- 42g double thick cream (48% fat)
- Liquid sweetener
- 2 drops vanilla essence
- 35g beaten egg yolk
- 1.5g Natvia® Sweetener
*When reconstituting KetoCal 4:1 powder, use 8.5g plus 52mL water to give a final volume of 60mL. If you would prefer to use KetoCal 4:1 Liquid in this recipe, please consult your Dietitian for guidance on how to adapt the recipe.
Important note: This recipe is for patients following a Classical 4:1 ketogenic Diet. The ketogenic diet must be used under strict medical supervision. Please refer to your Dietitian before making any adaptations to the recipes.
- Beat egg yolk thoroughly
- Heat KetoCal, cream, squirt of sweetener and vanilla essence until hot in a water bath or a basin standing in hot water
- Pour mixture over egg yolk, beating all the time
- Return mixture to water bath or basin
- Heat without boiling, stirring all the time until mixture starts to thicken and coats the back of a spoon
- Remove from heat, then add mixture to an oven proof dish. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours
- When you are ready to serve, sprinkle Natvia® over the top of the custard. Place dish under hot grill until Natvia® turns golden brown
You need to cook in a water bath to allow the custard to cook evenly. Otherwise, the custard can separate into curdled egg and liquid.
Approx. Per Serving